This article can be filed under the Do-It-Yourself files.
The suggestions are simple to follow and will provide you with a clean bathtub at the end.
How to Clean Your Bathtub
Filed Under: http://www.handyhouseholdhints.com/category/cleaning/" \\o "View all posts in CleaningIf there is soap scum or other residue in your bathtub it is definitely time for a good cleaning. A clean bathtub will make your bathroom more sanitary and you will not be embarrassed by your bathtub when guests come over. With a few brushes and some rubber gloves you can make your bathtub sparkle like new.
Here are a few things you will need to thoroughly clean your bathtub:
- Mildew remover
- Bathroom cleaner
- Scrub brush
- A sponge
- Rubber gloves
- Liquid bleach
- Old Toothbrush
- Grout brush
- Fiberglass cleaner
The first thing you should do is to clean the walls above the bathtub area. Put on the rubber gloves and spray some all-purpose cleaner on the walls above the bathtub. Let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe the cleaner off. You can remove the mildew from the grout with some tile cleaner by putting the cleaner on the grout and then with a grout brush scrub the mildew out. Now rinse the grout with water.
Here are some steps to take when cleaning your bathtub.
- Take some heavy-duty bathtub cleaner and apply it to the enamel tub and let it sit for around 5 minutes. Scrub the tub using a scrub brush applying a little pressure. Then rinse the tub.
- Scrub the soap scum that remains away using either an old toothbrush or a scrub brush. Make sure to get the areas around the drain and the corners of the bathtub. Watch out for a bathtub ring which forms when dirt and grime forms on the edges of the bathtub. If you let this bathtub ring go it will be more difficult removing it, as it will require a lot of elbow grease.
- Once you are done scrubbing rinse the entire bathtub.
- Take some non-abrasive bathtub cleaner and apply it to the bathtub. Only do this if you have an acrylic bathtub. Gently scrub the bathtub with a brush with soft bristles. After you have scrubbed the tub with the cleaner rinse the bathtub.
- After you have thoroughly cleaned the tub take some fiberglass cleaner, which is non-abrasive, and apply it to your bathtub if it is made of fiberglass. Take a sponge and gently scrub the bathtub, then rinse the tub.
Safety Tip: Always make sure that you wear rubber gloves as many of the cleaners that are used to clean bathtubs can be harmful to the skin. Make sure when using the cleaners that you careful to follow the directions. Also never mix cleaners thinking you can get your bathtub cleaner, as it may be dangerous when mixing chemicals.