This article is a reminder to all our readers who bought a home in 2008 and have not filed for their property tax exemptions. Be sure to file for any exemptions that you are entitled to and please remember that the second half of the property tax payment is due by November 10th, 2008.
Property Tax Exemptions
December 31, 2008 is the deadline to file your property tax exemptions for 2008 taxes payable in 2009.
To be eligible for these deductions in 2009, persons must be the owner of their primary residence as of December 31, 2008. If you purchased your property or refinanced your Mortgage by December 31, 2008, you have until December 31, 2008 to file. If you have previously filed an exemption on your property, you would only need to refile if you have moved or refinanced.
To ensure that you are not paying higher taxes than you should for next year, be sure to file for any exemptions that you are entitled.
The following exemptions are available to those who qualify:
- Homestead Exemption- Once filed on your residence, only needs to be refiled if you move.
Mortgage Exemption- Once filed, only needs to be refiled if you have refinanced. Must bring:
- Date of Closing
- Amount of Mortgage
- Name of Finance Company or Institution.
Over 65 Exemption:
- Must turn 65 by 12/31/07
- Combined adjusted gross income limit is $25,000
- Must bring copies of pages one (1) and two (2) of your 2006 1040 (for all persons listed on the property)
- Assessed value on all properties owned not to exceed $182,430
Blind / Disability Exemption- Must bring:
- Doctor's statement for proof of blindness or disability, or
- An Awards Letter from Social Security for proof of disability.
Veterans Exemption- with total or partial disability. Must bring:
- VA Statement of Benefit Record (Form 20-5455) with a code listed in Item # 15 or
Pension Certificate or
- Award of Compensation or
- Letter of Disability from the Veterans Administration with rating.
Your exemptions need to be filed in the Auditor's Office, Room 208 of the Civic Center Complex (on the second floor.) Our office hours are 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday. If you would like an exemption form mailed to you, please call 435-5293 and make the request. For additional information click on Tax Exemptions to go to the Auditor's Website.